I get a lot of questions about my fav healthy snacks and I have to say, hummus is a great option and one that I definitely love. Blame it on the Lebanese girl in me, but I like making my own hummus because it is truly so easy and so so healthy! The main star of hummus is chickpeas, where you'll get a punch of nutrients, fiber and protein and it's all plant based too! Chickpeas are also known for blood sugar regulation because of their low glycemic index and are a health super food that is crazy affordable - hello, what's not to love here?!
You can easily buy pre-made hummus, but I personally find it so easy to make your own at home and this way you know exactly what's going in it. So on that note, I'm sharing with you my simple and easy hummus recipe that you can pair with fresh veggies, use as a spread for sandwiches, or dip some rice crackers for a simple, nutritious, and totally satisfy snack!
2 (19oz) Cans of chickpeas
2/3 Cups Tahini
1 Tbl. Crushed garlic
3 Tbl. Fresh lemon juice (don't you dare use any of that fake stuff)
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
Salt to taste
1. Add one can of chickpeas with the liquid included and drain the other can and add chickpeas from that can into a blender.
2. Add tahini, garlic, lemon juice, a pinch or two of salt and blend.
3. Once blended to a fairly smooth consistency, slowly add in olive oil while blender is still on. This will make your hummus very creamy and so delish!
4. Keep that blender running for at least 5 minutes or longer until you get a super smooth texture. If you need to, add cold cold water a little bit at a time until you texture is smooth and creamy. Add salt to taste.
5. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of chili flakes or even a sprinkle of paprika and you are good to snack!
How simple and beautiful is that?!? Go make it now, you won't regret it!
* These are my two favourite crackers to pair with my hummus. You can find good thins in most grocery stores and simple mills can be found at Costco
Back to Blog